Friday 28 June 2019

Meet the Trainees - Luke Carberry


Hi, my name is Luke Carberry. I’m 18 years old and I am from Navan, Co. Meath. I have always had an interest in horses from a young age, as my cousins had a few horses at home.

I have always loved horse racing, mainly due to my father always watching it at home. I’ve been hooked from a young age and I’ve always wanted to become a jockey. My 2 idols of the racing world have always been Robbie Power and Daryl Jacob.

I first found out about RACE from my Dad. He knew how interested in horse racing I was and when discussing career options, he brought up RACE. I applied, went to an open day and was called back for a trial in July. By mid-August I had found out that I was accepted, and I was delighted. When I came here I had done very little riding, but by week 4 or 5 I was out on the gallops with everyone else and I was also jumping poles and hurdles.  Since coming to RACE I wouldn’t recognise myself as a rider, I have improved so much in such a small space of time. I have learned loads about horses and racing during my time in RACE. I am also ten times fitter and stronger, as we are in the gym two nights a week with our fitness coach, Wayne. Since starting the course, we have also visited various stud farms such as Coolmore, The National Stud and Kildangan Stud, which was very interesting.

In January, I was sent out on placement to Aidan Howard. Every morning I get up at 5.30am and I start work at about 6.40am where we pull out with our first lot nearly straight away. I am loving it so far as I’m getting loads of riding, I ride 6 lots most days and I feel it has really brought me on as a rider as there is such a wide range of horses in the yard from 5-furlong sprinters to point to pointers and 3-mile chasers. When I go home at the weekends I ride out on Saturdays in Michael Mulvanys, who was very good to take me on at a stage where I wasn’t such a good rider and between the two yards I’ve learned an awful lot about horses and my riding has improved a serious amount.

We are in school every Monday to Thursday from 2.15pm to 5.15pm. We study business, I.T, communications, work practice, stable and yard routine and racehorse care and exercise. These subjects are helpful to us as they help us with problems which may arise in our everyday lives after school. I have loved my time in RACE and I’m sure there’s even more exciting things to come.

Luke was placed with Aidan Howard on the 14th of January 2019.


The long straight on Maddenstown Gallops

No comments:

Post a Comment