Wednesday 26 June 2019

Meet the Trainees - Jessica O'Gorman


Hi, my name is Jessica O’Gorman. I am 15 years old and I live in Clare. My father was always into the racing so that’s where I got my interest. Coming to RACE I had no horse racing experience. I had some experience of show jumping, pony club and some hunting but that’s about it. My father works for Aengus King and I used to go over with him to the yard sometimes, which was a big help as Aengus taught me loads. I applied for the course and got invited to attend the weeks trial. After the trial I didn’t think I got in but when I got my letter to say I was accepted I was delighted! The trial certainly wasn’t easy but it all paid off in the end. The fitness was the hardest thing for me.

The first few weeks of the course were tough.  I was placed in group 1 with everyone who rode out with trainers already, so my confidence wasn’t great. I really thought I was hopeless but with all the training in the barn, I feel I have really come on and my confidence has improved a lot.
I was placed in Kevin Prendergast’s yard in early January.  I have settled in well and I really like my yard.  I am riding 2 and 3-year olds and getting on great.  Everyone out there is so nice and helpful, they really look after me well.

A typical day for me would be get up at 5:40am, get changed, try have something to eat and get the RACE bus at 6:15am. We start at 6:30am everyday but its handy because we are done between 12 and 12:30pm. I have learned and improved so much already by being in the yard.
The biggest thing I’ve improved I think is fitness.  I never realised how important fitness is, but since training with our fitness coach Wayne every Monday and Wednesday, I have come on loads.  I notice this improvement riding because I’m physically stronger and able to hold stronger horses without getting tired. 

After the course I hope to graduate from RACE and if I can I would love to stay on in my yard for the summer.

Jessica was placed with Kevin Prendergast on the 14th of January 2019.


On RACE Gallops at the start of the year

No comments:

Post a Comment