Wednesday 26 June 2019

Meet the Trainees - Kieran McGrath


Hi, my name is Kieran McGrath, I am 16 years old and I am from West Waterford, Ireland. My brother first got me into horses when he got broodmares, that he kept on the family farm at home. He would take me with him to different stud farms, like Castlehyde and Grange, when he was getting the mares covered. It was from then I started to show a keen interest in horses.

I started riding ponies at a local riding school when I was 11, after 2 years I got my own pony that I hunted with the West Waterford Hunt, which I loved. I also went show jumping in Ballyrafter every Friday with my pony and I really enjoyed that as well. When I turned 14, my brother got me into Ashtown Stud in Kilmacthomas working for Paul Shanahan. My brother is the manager there. I worked at the weekends and whenever I was off school. While I was there, I learned a lot about the breeding side of the racing industry and my brother showed me the ropes of a breeding yard. I got lots of opportunities to go to Coolmore Stud with the mares that had to be covered.

My brother often brought me racing to racecourses like the Curragh. I also got to go Tattersalls as my brother often had foals selling there. After 2 years at Ashtown Stud, my boss Paul Shanahan got me into Joseph o Brien’s during the summer, for 8 weeks. I was nervous enough going there as I had no experience riding racehorses but the lads in the yard helped me a lot and I got on really well there.

I decided to apply for RACE as it was always a dream of mine to become a successful jockey and I had also seen how successful many of the graduates of RACE were. I first attended an open day and then went up for the trial week which was tough, both mentally and physically, but I enjoyed it a lot. When I got the news that I got accepted for the course I was over the moon and couldn’t wait for August to come around.

We are now on week 24 and I have learned so much about racing and my riding has improved greatly. I got sent out to Johnny Murtaghs in November which I was delighted with as I always looked up to him growing up and to get the chance to work for him is great. I have become a much better rider since I started at Johnny’s and hopefully I keep on improving. I am delighted with how the course has gone so far and cannot wait to see what the future has in store.

Kieran was placed with Johnny Murtagh on the 19th of November 2018.


On Maddenstown Gallops - Assessment Week

No comments:

Post a Comment