Wednesday 5 October 2016

Meet The Trainees - Tia McLoughlin

My name is Tia Mcloughlin and I’m 17 years old. I’m from Dublin but I moved to Ashbourne, Co. Meath when I was 5 but I would never say that I am from Meath.  I’ve always been interested in horses since I was young. I started in a riding school when I was 8 and I’ve been there ever since. Even though I’m in R.A.C.E my horse is stabled there and I work there every Sunday.

I heard of the Racing Academy when I was in the riding school from a past pupil.  I was thinking to myself that sounds really difficult but I’d love to give it a go and see a different style of working with horses because it is nothing compared to working with ponies in a riding school. I did my Junior Cert then I skipped ‘TY’ (Transition Year) and went straight into 5th year. I stayed in school up until the last couple of weeks were I really just didn’t want to be there. So I went to the guidance councilor and she advised me to stay in school but then I brought up the idea of R.A.C.E and she thought that was a brilliant idea and helped me a lot. So I sent off my application and I received a letter a few weeks later that I had been accepted for a week long trial.

I was delighted that I was accepted for the trial and also a bit nervous but excited at the same time. I couldn’t wait to get down to the barn and get riding, but I was so wrong. On the trial we only got to ride once and it was not even for 10 minutes. The rest of the week down the barn involved painting fences, pulling weeds, cleaning the railings on the gallops which wasn’t too bad as it was in the middle of summer. We also did a lot of fitness through the week every night.

The trial week and all the hard work paid off. I am now out on work experience in Dermot Weld’s yard and I couldn’t be happier.  I hope to stay on as a senior and stay working for Dermot Weld to gain more experience and to go travelling. I’ve met some great people and learned a lot I wouldn’t have it any other way.
Tia (front left) heading out for training on Maddenstown Gallops

No comments:

Post a Comment