Friday 1 June 2018

Meet the trainees - Tara Roche

Well, my name is Tara Roche. I’m 16 years old and I’m from Clifden, Co.Galway. I’ve always loved horses from a young age, ever since I first sat up on a horse I was hooked! When I was 8 years old I joined my local Pony Club, I also did show jumping and showing. It was a great way to get experience, but I always wanted to be a jockey because I loved going fast and I am competitive.

Since starting in RACE, my riding has improved greatly from the coaching we have gotten in the RACE barn. The experience we have gained from the barn has been great. We get to school over hurdles and fences, ride on the Curragh plains and the Maddenstown Gallops. When we ride out we have ear pieces so they (our instructors) can tell us what we need to change to improve whilst riding. We also get videoed riding and watch the re-play in slow motion to see what we needed to change or improve on, which was great!

We have fitness sessions twice a week with our Strength and Conditioning Coach, Wayne. He always pushes us hard, but I feel like I am so much fitter and stronger now than at the start of the course. We have also had simulator coaching from Instructor, Paddy Flood. I’ve learned loads from that and it  has helped improve my style on the simulator a lot.

In May we will be doing the Bogathon with Gaisce and I am really looking forward to it.
We also got to go to the Ploughing and race meetings with RACE which was good craic and I really enjoyed it!

I’m really enjoying the Trainee Jockey Course and I have made really good friends. I was sent out to John Feane on placement and I really like his yard. I am getting loads of experience out there. After RACE, I hope to take out my License and ride a few winners!

Tara was placed with John Feane on the 22nd of January 2018.

Outdoor arena - week 1 of course

No comments:

Post a Comment