Tuesday 29 May 2018

Meet the trainees - Ben Kennedy


Hi my name is Ben Kennedy. I am 16 years old and from Dingle County Kerry. I was always sitting on ponies all my life but I started riding at a trekking centre near Dingle when I was 5 or 6 years old. I always loved racing and got my first taste of racing at the flapping in Dingle. My Dad has been in the committee for as long as I can remember and I suppose that is where my interest came from.
I remember going Pony Racing with my Dad and I had always wanted to try it. I got that chance when me and Dad went to North Kerry to look at a 12’2 Pony, called ‘In The Zone’.  A small black Pony with a white face and 2 different coloured eyes. He was no more thoroughbred than me, but it made no difference to me as we set off every Sunday to the Races.

‘In The Zone’ was a brilliant first pony and I learned loads on him, but as I got taller and heavier it was time for a step up. My last season with him was definitely not my best as I was too heavy for 12’2s, but I managed my first winner in Balleyferriter in a local Race on a Pony called Bradley, and I backed up the following year in the Race with the Same pony.  I started going away from home when I was about 12 years old.  I would go to Mallow to The O’Keeffe’s and I learned a lot. I then started riding in Tom Coopers on Saturdays.

I made the decision to come to RACE last summer after the open day. I was delighted when I got onto the course and I think I have improved massively since the start. For work placement, I was placed with Dermot Weld.  I am really enjoying working there.  I ride about 5 lots a day, most of them on Mr Weld’s Gallops and sometimes on the Curragh. 

When I finish at RACE I hope to apply for my Licence and become an Apprentice Jockey and then perhaps race under National Hunt  Rules.

Week 1 of the course, outdoor arena


No comments:

Post a Comment