Thursday 12 July 2018

Meet the trainees - Sarah Dunne


My name is Sarah Dunne.  I am 16 years old and I am from Ballygarrett in Wexford.  I have been riding for 10 years.  Before I came to RACE I took part in eventing and hunting.  I was in the Pony Club for 6 years.  I have always enjoyed watching Racing and attending Races with my Dad and Brother at Punchestown, The Curragh and Wexford.  Two summers ago, I helped my Aunt get a point-to-point horse fit for Racing and last year I competed in events on her.  Last November I was also helping her (my Aunt) get two more thoroughbred Mares fit for racing after Christmas.
I heard about RACE two years ago, it was my Aunt who told me about RACE. Her older Brother attended RACE in 1987. She recommended the course to me. I went to the Open Day in April and I thought it sounded great! I came to the trial week and I was delighted to get in.

I started at Johnny Murtagh’s yard in January 2018. I love it out there. I usually get there at 7.30 am and we finish at 12.45 am. We tack up our first lot when we get there and put the horses on the walker. Then we muck out their stables and fill water buckets. We ride out on the sand gallops, the fox cover or up Walsh’s Hill. Our first two lots are the older horses and then after tea break we usually ride 3 of the 2-year-olds.

After RACE I want to take out a license for the flat.

Sarah was placed with Johnny Murtagh on the 22nd of January 2018


Cooling down after riding demonstration for Family Day 

No comments:

Post a Comment