Tuesday 23 August 2016

Meet The Trainees - Erica Byrne Burke

Hi my name is Erica Byrne Burke. I am 17 years old and I’m from Ratoath Co. Meath. Since I was small I always had a love for horses I started riding in Broadmeadows Equestrian Centre in Ashbourne and I did some showjumping.  Since day one of riding horses I always had a dream of becoming a Jockey and wanted to get into racing but I just didn’t know how as I didn’t really have a horsey background. I knew it was going to happen someday I just didn’t know how or when.  I always watched racing on the TV and went to Fairyhouse whenever there was a race meeting.  

The first racing yard I was in was Dermot Mcloughlins up at home, I ended up there as I got work experience with him for 2 weeks with school and I got a weekend job out of it. I didn’t have experience with racehorses so I mostly rode out the hunter and rode one or two quiet racehorses.  In the racing yard I gained a lot of experience and I wouldn’t be in RACE now if it wasn’t for the lads in the yard, I found out about RACE form one of the lads that came through RACE a few years ago, Conor Maxwell. I went to the open day and I knew that I wanted to come here. I felt like it was a great opportunity to get involved in racing.

The trial week was one of the toughest weeks of my life but I knew I had to get onto this course, so I gave it everything I could and I got accepted for the course. I’ve learned so much from being on this course and I am delighted to have got the opportunity to be here.  I got sent out to Dermot Welds from RACE and I hope to stay there and stay on as a senior in RACE.  I have gained so much experience and have really enjoyed every minute of it. I hope to take out my license next year and hopefully my dream will come true in a few years and I get to ride up along sides with the likes of Bryan Cooper, Nina Carberry, Johnny Burke and Ruby Walsh.

My Mam use to have to drag me out of  bed every  morning to go to school and now I jump out of the bed every morning at 6 o clock to get up to do what I love the most. 
Erica on Maddenstown Gallops

No comments:

Post a Comment