Saturday 7 March 2015

Meet the trainees - Siobhan Rutledge

My name is Siobhan Rutledge, I am 16 years old and I live just outside Ashbourne in County Meath. I’ve always had an interest in horses as my Dad was a jockey and trained a few point to point horses and my grandmother has bred horses in the past.

When I was 4 years of age, my brother and I were blessed with the gift of a little black welsh pony, he stood about 11 hands high, but was far too big for his boots. We called him harry after the man we bought him from. We had a little donkey called taxi who I’d ride up the field in the evenings after school. My brother eventually lost interest in riding horses, but I was hooked.

I took a few riding lessons at the age of 10 which helped me get the basics of horse riding, but gave up the lessons soon after because the horses were not fast enough! After saving up I bought Sweeney Todd, a 6 year old Connemara pony off a family friend, who I still have today. She is 13.2 hands high and is the best thing since sliced bread as far as I’m concerned.  I still had a great interest in racing, and did a few local pony races with Sweeney Todd that didn’t amount to much more than a fun day out for the family.

 Just before my 16th birthday, I decided I’d apply for RACE. Never in a million years did I think I’d be accepted, but I headed down for the trial in July hoping for the best. They had us doing all sorts on the trial; I don’t think I’ve pulled as much weeds in my life! I loved my week down in RACE and knew then that it was the place to be.
The acceptance letter came late, on the 11th of August, 3 days before my 16th birthday having just completed my Junior Cert in Ashbourne Community School. I was so nervous, but I knew I couldn’t have tried any harder on the trial. I was delighted to find out I got in and since then I’ve spent the last 5 months in the good hands of our four instructors Barry Walsh, Niall Byrne, Paul Keating and Paul Geoghegan who have been teaching me the tricks of the trade.
I’ve been lucky enough to meet 31 amazing people who I’ll stay in touch with forever. We’ve all grown so close over the last few months and I know I’ll be devastated at the end of the course. All of the teachers are absolutely lovely as are our supervisors who have kept an eye on us. I’m looking forward to being sent out to a yard, and hopefully graduating in June.

On RACE Gallops in September

Schooling at RACE

No comments:

Post a Comment