Tuesday 16 July 2019

Meet the Trainees - Robert Meehan


Hi, my name is Robert Meehan. I’m 16 and I am from county Galway. I’m not from a horseracing background but we first got ponies when I was about 4 or 5 years old, so I’ve been riding for quite some time. I started watching racing from a young age as my brother started riding out in a local yard, I never did any show jumping but I did small bit of hunting.

I have wanted to be a jockey since I started working weekends and during school holidays for trainer Iggy Madden. I was 13 years old when I started there and that’s where I first rode a racehorse.  When I was 14 years old, I went to Newmarket in England. My father had been working in Newmarket at the time and my brother was riding out there. I spent that summer with Denis Quinn who taught me loads and took me racing all the time. I also did a bit of pony racing the following summer, but I didn’t have any luck.

I then went to Johnny Murtagh’s on my Easter holidays the following year and spent the summer with Johnny. Johnny was great and like Denis he also taught me loads. I always looked up to Johnny from when I started watching racing as a young lad.

 I was happy to be excepted into RACE and thankful for all my parents have done to get me here. I have learnt a lot since I have started here in RACE, the instructors and other staff have been very helpful. I was sent out on work placement to James Nash on the 19th of November. James is great for giving me opportunities and I am enjoying my time there. I hope to take out my conditional license when I leave RACE, if all’s going well.

Robert was placed with James Nash on the 19th of November 2018.



The long straight on Maddenstown Gallops

No comments:

Post a Comment