Monday 20 June 2016

Meet The Trainees - Emma Holden - Cahill



My name is Emma Cahill, I am 17 years old and I live in Castledermot Co.Kildare. I have always loved horses since a young age and began riding when I was 10 years old. None of my family members ride horses but my Mam got me interested in racing and watching races as she loves to watch it. 
I started off in a riding school called Pitfield Equestrian Centre, where I learned the basic skills of riding.  I rode there for 5 years before starting a summer Job with Jessica Harrington. I had never ridden a racehorse before until I went to Harrington’s.  I loved going to the yard! I got so much experience from there. Everyone in the yard helped and taught me about racing and racehorses.

What I enjoy about RACE are the people in it. It’s amazing how close you get to people who were complete strangers just a few months ago. I have met some great people and made some wonderful new friends. 
One of the highlights of RACE that I was really looking forward to doing since the start of the course was the Gaisce hike. For the hike we walked for 4 hours from Athy to Carlow and stayed overnight in Baltinglass. The next day we started our hike up the Wicklow Mountains at 9:00am and it took 3 ½hrs to complete. I really enjoyed it! It was great to get out and all spend time together and the weather was perfect for the event.



Emma (behind Supervisor, Paul Kelly( Sea the Stars cap) wearing white t-shirt) on the Gaisce Hike with her fellow trainees and (right) on Maddenstown Gallops with Instructor Paul Keating.


Emma was placed with Michael Halford in February 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment