Tuesday 11 December 2012

Meet the trainees - Robert Dolan


 
Leading out for the Moyglare Stud Stakes


Robert Dolan  - Class of 2012/2013


My name is Robert Dolan. I am 16 years old and I’m from Kildare town right beside the Curragh Racecourse.
Ever since I was young, I’ve wanted to become a famous jockey. My father was a jockey for Dermot Weld and my grandad was a great jockey in his day, winning many big races including the Irish St.leger and the Irish 2000 Guineas.
My father Robert Dolan, known to most as Bobby Dolan is a key man at Dermot Weld’s yard. He has inspired me a lot to become a jockey as I grew older. I started riding in 2011 and when I came to RACE, I didn’t know a lot about riding. I never actually rode a proper racehorse before I came to RACE, so I was nervous when I came here because I was afraid of people with more experience leaving me behind. After 8 weeks of RACE, I have learned a lot and that fear is long past me.
My favourite jockey is Frankie Dettori. I love how he is always so happy and smiling whenever you see him racing. He loves what he does and I admire him for that. When Frankie won the Irish 2000 Guineas in 2005 on Dubawi, I was there and it was a great experience because I actually got to talk to him afterwards! My favourite moment in horse racing was witnessing Grey Swallow win the Irish derby in 2004 because my father was Grey Swallows groom.
I hope that I will have my first winner by this time next year and I will give 110% of myself to make sure that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment